Pick your next microscope
What to consider when buying a hobbyist microscope?
Obviously you need to pick a compound or a dissection microscope. Look at:
Start your search by looking at microscopes which have a well-built frame. The best of them are made of metallic alloys that keep vibration to a minimum and prevent fluctuations which occur due to temperature variations. If you are considering to buy a microscope made up of plastic, then simply don’t. The reason being that it will not provide you with the optimal performance of your expectations, let alone hold up over time.
The build of a microscope has a drastic impact on its longevity. A microscope with a finer basic build will obviously last longer, thus saving you money in the long term. Try finding a frame made up of metallic alloys, since they minimize vibrations, along with limiting the effects that fluctuating weather can have on a microscope.
You should consider buying microscopes that have metal focus gears, metal screws, optical glass lenses, reagent resistant finish, and ball bearings in their revolving components. Beware! A number of toy microscopes in the market are painted or chromed in such a manner that they look exactly like metal. Thus one needs to be careful.
Illumination and magnification are of course your key parameters to consider.
Best on Amazon
- Pocket Microscope with a Powerful 60x-120x Magnification Range
- Precision Molded Aspheric Lenses Provide Superior Optics
- Designed to be Compact, Lightweight and Portable.Remove the battery before storing the microscope for an extended period
- Bright LED Light is Powered by 1 AA Battery (not included)
- Product Dimensions (LxWxH): 1.2 inch x 2.25 inch x 3.5 inch | Backed by Carson’s Limited Lifetime Warranty
- Jiusion portable magnification is a useful and funny microscope for kids, students, engineers, inventors, and others who need to magnify and explore the micro things.
- Be compatible with Mac, Window XP and above, Linux. This microscope isn’t compatible with iPhone/iPad.
- This magnification only support Android smartphone which has OTG function.(How to Check OTG? Download the free app”USB OTG Checker”)
- Built-in 8 LED lights, digital microscope’s 2 adjusting knob can change the focus and brightness.
- Connected to the devices, you can use the software to record the micro world, capture screenshot and record video. Besides you can use the Windows software’s measurement function to measure the least bit.
- 【5 MAGNIFICATION SETTING 】 ➤ SAVE 15% Enter code DKW4VI7P at checkout!!!! Rotatable objectives 4x, 10x, and 40x with eyepieces 10x, 25x giving optical microscope more magnification: 40x, 100x, 250x, 400x and 1000x.
- 【DOUBLE INTENSITY ILLUMINATION(0.25W LED)】 The double light high power microscope has incident and transmitted LED light sources, which can see both opaque objects illuminated from above and translucent specimens illuminated from below.(LED light source is powered by 3 1.5v AA batteries, excluding batteries).
- 【HIGH CLASS MATERIAL & FINE FOCUSING】Metal base and sturdy handle framework won’t make microscope shake. Adjustable hand wheel let the specimen stage lift to crate a image more clearer and sharper.
- 【SHARING IN REAL TIME】 Included cell phone adapter with eyepiece allows you to capture and record beauty all around you with smart phone. You can share pictures or videos with your families and friends in real-time.
- 【EXTRA FREE GIFT】Come with a box of microscope sliders (4 prepared slides & 6 blank slides) which include sample about animal legs, onion, wood and cotton. Please contact us if you have any problem.
- Total magnification: 40X-80X-100X-200X-400X-800X-1000X-2000X; Eyepieces: wide field WF10X and WF20X; Objectives: achromatic DIN 4X, 10X, 40X(S), 100X(S, Oil); Viewing head: 45 degrees inclined 360 degrees swiveling binocular; Sliding adjustable interpupillary distance: 2-3/16inch ~ 2-15/16inch(55~75mm); Ocular diopter adjustable on both eyetubes
- Nosepiece: revolving quadruple; Stage: double layer X-Y mechanical stage with scales, size: 4-1/2inchx 4-15/16inch (115mm x 125mm), translation range: 2-13/16inch x 1-3/16inch (70mm x 30mm); Stage upward moving lock protects objectives and slides
- Condenser: NA1.25 Abbe condenser with iris diaphragm; Illumination: transmitted (lower) LED light, intensity adjustable; Focus: Coaxial coarse and fine knobs on both sides
- Full solid metal frame construction with stain resistant enamel finish; Power supply: AC/DC adapter, 7.5V/7.5W (UL approved) – Input: 100-240V; 100-piece blank glass slides with 100-piece cover slips and 50-sheet lens cleaning paper included
- 5-year warranty against manufacturing defects
- Stereo microscope for home or classroom use enables students and hobbyists to inspect biological specimens, rocks, stamps, jewelry, and large specimens that require handing or manipulation
- Binocular viewing head with interchangeable pairs of 10x and 20x widefield eyepieces, adjustable interpupillary distance, and 45-degree inclination to simplify viewing for young users
- Interchangeable 2x and 4x objectives provide low magnification and longer focal length for inspecting large-scale specimens
- Upper and lower illumination has 10W halogen light source to illuminate specimens
- Frosted stage plate allows light to pass through from below with transparent specimens, reversible black and white stage plate provides contrast with light- and dark-colored specimens, and stage clips secure the specimen during viewing
- 20X-40X-80X widefield stereo magnification settings
- Built-in incident (top) and transmitted (bottom) lights
- Sturdy pillar stand with metal framework
- Backward widefield binocular head
- Different Types of Microscopes – Exploring the top four and others. (n.d.). Retrieved April 16, 2020, from https://www.microscopemaster.com/different-types-of-microscopes.html
- Buyer’s Guide: Microscope Versatility – Before buying your first microscope. (n.d.). Retrieved April 16, 2020, from https://www.microscopemaster.com/microscope-versatility.html